[CS-FSLUG] Current vs. Scriptural Epistemology

Timothy Butler tbutler at ofb.biz
Sun Dec 27 18:53:01 CST 2009

> I know. I take no offense. We live in the world of the
> Enlightenment, which is an epistemology derived from that of
> Aristotle. If you want to take the time to examine more about that,
> let me offer this link: http://soulkiln.org/ew-epist.html.

	The Enlightenment Project was a poor steward to the inheritance of
Aristotle, to the extent they used him. They rejected some key
Aristotelean ideas, such as virtue ethics, and didn't have much use
for the best adaptation of Aristotle to the Bible... Thomas Aquinas's
works.

> I don't pretend anyone who rejects this is a fool. The ANE viewpoint
> itself discourages you from taking yourself too seriously, from ever
> believing you really have it all worked out. So without being
> combative, I assert this is the key to understanding Jesus, the
> Apostles, and the Old Testament. I believe truth makes its own path,
> in that sense. It's not my job to convince anyone, only do my best
> to answer questions. You'll need your own story.

	Amen! The epistemology you describe doesn't fall too far from the
more postmodern one I'd generally adhere to (albeit, lest anyone
stumble on that statement and think I swallow pomo ideas lock, stock
and barrel, I don't). I think critics have sufficiently demonstrated
we cannot fully and scientifically prove the truth of a text or boil
it down to a formula.

	-Tim