[CS-FSLUG] Moderator's Clarification

Steven Vollom stevenvollom at sbcglobal.net
Fri Dec 18 14:19:14 CST 2009

On Thursday 17 December 2009 06:47:52 pm Timothy Butler wrote:
> On Dec 17, 2009, at 12:11 PM, Ed Hurst wrote:
> > Finally, anyone is free to object, appeal over my head to Tim, etc.
> > I don't take myself that seriously.
>
> I'm happy to hear appeals to our policy in general, although I should
> clarify to the list that Ed and I have certainly talked about this
> sort of thing many times and the conclusion has remained the same.
>
> Basically, I'd say the best thing to do is try to limit OT posting. If
> someone has already posted five things on a single OT subject in a
> week or two, unless it brings something crucial to the table everyone
> needs to discuss, let's try not to add a sixth. Every time OT posting
> on Muslims, the "evils of Democrats," etc., get out of hand for
> awhile, we start losing members and your moderation team cracks down.
> Once Ed or I close a thread, people remember for awhile and behave.
> Then we start again.
>
> (It should be noted that Ed and I are in different places politically,
> so lest anyone think we are somehow biased, I think we balance each
> other out.)
>
> On the other hand, I encourage those bothered by posts to do as Josiah
> did and filter. Filtering helps us to select the areas we want to hear
> from in a mailing list, working around some of the limitations of our
> format. You might just want to filter out OT posts all together. Or,
> say, OT posts from certain senders. That way you can still hear those
> folks contributions on other topics.
>
> As a third point, let me encourage folks to contact the moderators
> when they have a concern, rather than just leaving. We do try to
> strive to fix things, but each person has different tolerances for
> when moderation should happen. Personally, I often just skip over the
> vast majority of things posted on this list... and other lists I am on.
>
> On a personal note: I'd say Christians have so many problems
> internally, that while external issues such as threats from Muslim
> extremists are relevant, but are over represented.  First, we need to
> figure out why the divorce rate amongst Christians is as high or
> higher than the national average. We need to figure out why so many
> Christians come off hateful rather than loving. We need to figure out
> why so many people are being hurt by the church. There are enough
> damnable problems amongst us that if importance was related to
> frequency of posting, I suspect very few of our posts would focus on
> anything but ourselves.
>
> 	I don't say this to critique anyone. I've been friends with both Ed
> and Fred for the better part of a decade. And speaking of Ed, let me
> encourage everyone to give a tip of the hat to this dear brother who
> has been a faithful moderator to this list for so many years, quietly
> doing thankless work in the background much of the time.
>
> 	-Tim

Dear Tim,

I requested removal from the list a long time ago.  I still get unwanted
input.  I don't have any objection to the content of the  list, I simply want
to reduce my email input.  I have stopped reading this list a long time ago.
I went through the procedure you have for removal, so I don't know why it
continues.

When I first joined the list, I wanted a different kind of input.  Your list is
a fine program, it is just not what i was looking for.  I know you don't want
to be considered junk mail or that you are forcing your program on people who
are not interested, so please remove me in a way that I no longer receive your
postings.   Thank you,

In CHRIST,
Steven Vollom, fine-artist retired