[CS-FSLUG] Ex-Muslim's college speech disrupted by arson.

sjm sjm.mlists at gmail.com
Sun Dec 6 22:00:10 CST 2009

>>> And, MOST follow the Quran AND Shariah laws closely.
>>
>> According to a friend of mine who is an anthropologist working in
>> Islamic Studies, only about 10% of Muslims adhere to the more militant
>> strains. We need to keep in mind that, much like Christianity, in many
>> places Islam intermingles with other elements as something
>> syncretistic...
>
> With all due respect to your friend, I don't buy it.....NOT based on
> what I know to be true from personal experience and that of others,
> including some in the military IN Iraq, Afghanistan, and several in
> Pakistan.

You should realize that your sample is small and biased, I would hope.

According to the Pew Research Center, if you had talked to EVERY muslim
in those three countries, you would have only talked to about 15% of the
muslims of the world (Afghaniston - 1.8%, Iraq - 2%, and Pakistan -
11.1%) and those would be in some of the more extreme/militant areas of
the muslim world (and I'm not going into how the war and opinions of the
military might bias a sample from those countries).

Would you judge protestantism by talking to only the people in Southern
and Eastern Africa (about 15.6% of the Protestants of the world)?

sjm

__________ Information from ESET NOD32 Antivirus, version of virus signature database 4663 (20091205) __________

http://www.eset.com