[CS-FSLUG] Ex-Muslim's college speech disrupted by arson.

Tim Young Tim.Young at LightSys.org
Sun Dec 6 16:51:32 CST 2009

Ah.  Yes.  But one also must remember that most of the Muslims do not
believe or adhere to the more extreme portions of their religion.  In
many Muslim countries, for example, women can wear jeans.  The Muslim
faith has the equivalent of different denominations, many of which are
much more moderate than most people would believe.  We mostly hear of
the more militant strains of Islam, instead of hearing of the more
moderate sides of things.

Christianity has had times when people professed to be Christians, but
did very un-Christian things (The Crusades, for example).  It is a bit
backward, in that those who truly follow Islam are the ones to watch out
for, but those who are very lax in their beliefs actually can make very
nice neighbors.  It would be more correct to say that, under Shariah Law
(the more extreme implementation of Islam), Islam is repressive, etc.

The funny thing is that, if someone started throwing that sort of
information about various Christian leaders, I would not want to hear it
either.  It might or might not be true, but if it is someone you
respect, "bringing out the dirt" is not a very effective way to reach
someone.  Most people, if you were to start a conversation that way,
would tune you off in an instant.  Simply stating these facts of Islam
would probably turn off any lurkers; perhaps Muslim seekers who might be
interested in Christianity but who were Linux techies.  So, if any such
people happen to be on the list, I would like to "complete" Fred's
statement, by adding, "But God loves them anyway, as should we."

I am glad that that woman is speaking out about what Islam lends itself
to become.  She is certainly putting her life in jeopardy by speaking
out that bluntly.  But it is information that would be good for many
people to know.  Hopefully, not to turn people against Muslims (as
individuals), but hopefully to look at it constructively (how can we
avoid taking a path which might lead to Shariah Law.)

     - Tim Young