[CS-FSLUG] A Poor Man's CRM ?

Cia Watson ciamarie at my180.net
Sat Dec 5 11:19:55 CST 2009

On Thu, 2009-12-03 at 15:12 -0500, Josiah Ritchie wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 3, 2009 at 2:28 PM, Jon Glass <jonglass at usa.net> wrote:
>         On Thu, Dec 3, 2009 at 8:08 PM, Josiah Ritchie
>         <josiah.ritchie at gmail.com> wrote:
>         > We've started using SugarCRM and I think it fits your
>         objectives. It is
>         > extremely flexible and powerful.
>         >

>         So, how does one get it to run? I have a bunch of folders with
>         a bunch
>         of php files in them--no binary files. I dl-ed into Mandriva,
>         if that
>         helps.
>
> It's a web app, you have to install it into a LAMP infrastructure.
> You'll need Apache, php and mysql setup properly to begin with. Then
> you'll drop those PHP files into /var/www/ or wherever Mandriva's
> version of Apache sets up your web root and open http://localhost in
> your browser. Better directions are here:
> http://www.sugarcrm.com/crm/support/documentation/SugarCommunityEdition/5.5/-docs-Application_Guides-Sugar_Community_Edition_Application_Guide_5.5GA-toc.html
>
> Alternately, you can use one of their stack installers to handle it. I
> don't know how these work, but directions are here:
> http://www.sugarcrm.com/crm/support/documentation/SugarCommunityEdition/5.5/-docs-Administration_Guides-Sugar_FastStack_Installation_Guide_CommunityEdition_5.5-toc.html
>
> JSR/

I already use apache/php/mysql for my website, and phpmyadmin -- I guess
I could configure it to have it's own directory (and I'm not the
original questioner anyway...). I clicked on the link because I'm
interested in something similar, but when I saw it was a web app I
decided against it (for now, anyway...)

What I've been using, though it pulls in a lot of KDE stuff and I
haven't figured out how to use it well yet; is KOrganizer or KDEpim
(personal info manager). On my Fedora install it's just KDEpim, and it
pulls in a lot of stuff I don't want or need on my gnome desktop; but I
haven't found a good gnome replacement for it.

It's a calendar, with a reminder function (I like that!), events, to-do
list, journal, and it will interface with KAddressbook or Kontact or
whatever they call it. I haven't set that up yet. Under the option to
add an event, there is a tab for adding an attachment. So that might
work for you?

I found out about and installed 'alacarte' menu editor to re-do my menu
entries to I don't have to look at all the menu entries it pulls in. I
created a menu item 'kdepim' and threw most of it in there. I couldn't
find 'alacarte' or anything about menu editor on my menu after I
installed it; so I opened a terminal window and typed 'alacarte' and it
came up!