[CS-FSLUG] Converting Video File Formats

Micah Yoder micah at yoderdev.com
Tue Apr 7 07:01:29 CDT 2009

Ed Hurst wrote:
> Let's suppose I have a good Christian video in WMV format. I can play it
> like any savvy Linux user, but I want it open to a wider audience. What
> might I use to convert the file to another video format, and what format
> would you suggest?

If anyone is still wondering about this, here is what I recently did to
edit a video in Cinelerra and export it to a good format for Windows Media:

* rendered it to MOV format, using DV video and Two's Complement audio
* ran this ffmpeg command on the rendered output:

ffmpeg -i test-dv.mov -vcodec msmpeg4v2 -acodec libmp3lame -sameq
wintest3.avi

The results of this can be downloaded from:
http://yoderdev.com/LaVid/
if anyone is interested.  Well that's for the high quality link. The
flash video was generated thusly:
ffmpeg -i test-dv.mov -ar 22050 LaVid.flv

ffmpeg is an extremely cool piece of software!