[CS-FSLUG] Convert PC to terminal server client, easily

Jonathan E. Brickman jeb at joshuacorps.org
Mon Apr 6 23:34:40 CDT 2009

Thought y'all might like to see this:

http://pctsc.truepath.com

Converts old PCs to terminal server clients.  It is working very well
for a school right now.  Puppy-based.  Version 1.1 is in use in two
different schools right now, a range of old hardware, working very
nicely.  Even does wireless, though that's not documented yet; it's
using the full and excellent Puppy admin toolset for that.

Anyone here know a lot about VNC authentication?  Specifically, when the
VNC protocol is used to build a Linux-based terminal server, is the
authentication usually done before the connection (not like most RDP,
more like the default behaviors of TightVNC), or after the connection is
made (like most RDP)?  I'm planning how to add VNC support to PC TSC,
and authentication is the toughest hurdle so far: ssvnc gives me lots of
authentication options, but I've found only one GUI authentication
option, which also requires the user to type in the VNC server name each
time.  Not very professional.  So far it looks like I'll have to set up
a bash script to bring up a question-dialogue for login and password,
which is not what I would prefer to be doing, though I will if I have
to, I have heard of a simple scriptable API or two.

J.E.B.