[CS-FSLUG] Converting Video File Formats

Jonathan E. Brickman jeb at joshuacorps.org
Sat Apr 4 21:01:46 CDT 2009

On Saturday 04 April 2009 20:01:04 Ed Hurst wrote:
> Fred A. Miller wrote:
> >> Let's suppose I have a good Christian video in WMV format. I can
> >> play it like any savvy Linux user, but I want it open to a wider
> >> audience. What might I use to convert the file to another video
> >> format, and what format would you suggest?
> >
> > Well, with ffmpeg you can create an avi....command line and VERY
> > programmable.
>
> Probably the best choice. Can anyone help me wade through the various
> flags for ffmpeg so I get the best product? I've used it for
> stripping sound tracks out of stuff, but that was based on a script I
> got from someone right here on the list.

Here is what I have successfully used recently:

ffmpeg -i test.mpg -deinterlace -ar 44100 -r 25 -qmin 3 -qmax 6   \
	-s 640x480 -b 150000 -ab 22050 test.flv

The source was "test.mpg", it can be anything; the destination is
"test.flv".  The above bitrate settings do give me very high-quality on
my lowest-echelon 200 kbps Cox Cablevision broadband.

I tested a fairly wide variety of formats for WWW use before settling on
FLV.  FLV seems to have the widest general compatibility right now.

J.E.B.