[CS-FSLUG] mini-ITX boot problem

Stephen J. McCracken smccracken at hcjb.org.ec
Thu Apr 2 12:26:53 CDT 2009

Marco Tedaldi wrote:
> Ron Thompson schrieb:
>> I spoke too soon.  It doesn't boot properly after swapping the cards, it gets
>> started and them comes back with Checking root file system
>> fsck.ext3: No such file or directory while trying to open /dev/hdb2 FAILED
>>
>> I'm out of my league.
>>
>> Not much point in having a mni-ITX if you have to duct tape an old CD-RW onto
>> the case just to get it to boot :-)
>>
> It seems there is the Problem.
>
> The order of the drives ind Linux is:
> 1. hda
> 2. hdb
> 3. hdc
> 4. hdd

And added to this, is that GRUB sees them as hd0, hd1, etc.

My guess is that when you installed it (with the CD connected, you got
it to install on:

hd0 for GRUB
hdb in Linux

When you took out the CD and put in the other CF card, the "boot"
(installed) drive changed to hd1 so it couldn't boot from GRUB.
Switching adapters, it changed back to hd0 for GRUB to boot, but Linux
was looking for hdb (and it was now hda).

I would try keeping the bootable CF card where it saw GRUB, but didn't
boot and put the CD on the other.  Hopefully, then the CF will be both
hd0 and hda and won't change when you take the CD out.

My $0.0002

sjm