[CS-FSLUG] KDE vs. GNOME (was Re: Senator Obam)

Timothy Butler tbutler at ofb.biz
Fri Oct 17 16:36:38 CDT 2008

> Why the switch? I've been considering giving gnome another look
> lately,
> because I hear so much about how clean cut it is. What I mean by
> that is
> sometimes KDE just seems cluttered and everything just strewn about
> in the
> Kmenu. I've been using KDE for well over 14 years and still can never
> remember where to look in kmenu for some things. What I don't
> understand is
> why have the "utilities", "system" and "settings" menu items when
> all 3 of
> them are almost exactly the same generally. If you really think
> about it, all
> the apps in each menu would easily fit in the other.

	David, you've pretty much hit on what frustrated me about KDE. I
started using KDE at release 1.0; at that time, it was rough, but it
was a huge improvement over what else was out there. It seemed like
every release promised to be the release I could finally say, "this is
as easy to use as Windows or Mac OS X." It never happened. The problem
with KDE, as much as I respect some of their accomplishments, is that
they lack discipline to focus on what will make the system usable for
average folks.

	When I was hired by the KDE League to produce a tutorial/tour in the
early part of this decade, I believe the control panel had something
like 150 different screens worth of settings under multiple tree
levels and then tabs and sub dialogues beyond that. Likewise, KDE has
always favored including redundant applications with slightly
different ways of doing things over picking one really good way to do
something and building it up so that there would be no need for two.

	I got tired of the clutter -- it feels unpolished and it makes the
system feel less like a cohesive, well, system. GNOME 2 marked a big
change for that project, and one that impressed me greatly. Part of it
was attitude, while the GNOME folks were originally the arrogant ones,
by the time GNOME 2 floated around, I got the idea it was the other
way around. The KDE people were so convinced they had come up with the
best way to do stuff, you could get shouted down by multiple
developers if you tried to gently suggest this or that idea that might
actually make the system more "human friendly."

	GNOME 2 cut a bunch of features, to the chagrin of many, much as Mac
OS X did after Mac OS 8, but in both cases, that went towards an
extremely good fit-and-finish on what was left. Programs complement,
but do not overlap. The interface is clean and simple, putting forward
important options but deemphasizing that which is not all that big of
deal. Most of it can still be configured (like Mac OS X) from the
command line -- that makes sense to me. Pros can use the command line
(or a customizer utility) no sweat, so put pro-level options there.
This results in the remaining GUI tools focusing on the average user,
the sort who is scared to death when he or she sees KControl.

	I know KDE is trying to clean things up, but I still think they lack
discipline. FOSS is great for a lot of things, but the bazaar
technique is much better at building servers and underpinnings than
GUIs. GNOME (and, Firefox, I might add) have at least a top layer of
"cathedral builders" to present a public face to the project and
provide a vision that drives the project.

	-Tim

---
Timothy R. Butler | "Turning and turning in the widening gyre
tbutler at ofb.biz   |  The falcon cannot hear the falconer;
timothybutler.us  |  Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold;
uninet.info       |  Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world..."
                                                 -- W. B. Yeats