[CS-FSLUG] Senator Obam

Davo Smith christiansource at davosmith.co.uk
Fri Oct 10 13:50:22 CDT 2008

On Fri, Oct 10, 2008 at 7:38 PM, Jon Glass <jonglass at usa.net> wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 10, 2008 at 8:23 PM, Davo Smith
> <christiansource at davosmith.co.uk> wrote:
>
>> But whilst we're at it: Ubuntu, with the default Xandros on my Asus
>> EeePC (but getting a bit fed up with Firefox 2).
>
> Speaking of the eee, and the default Xandros, have you had any issues
> with running out of inodes? the symptoms are that you start getting
> dcomserver errors when you launch programs like the file manager. The
> problem is that somehow, your ssd has used up all of its "inodes" (no,
> I have no idea how these things work). My wife's eee had a meltdown
> this week, and was so bad off that we had to do the F9 restore trick.
> Thankfully, all her email was still on the imap server, and foxmarks
> had saved her bookmarks, and we had just copied all her files to an SD
> card, shortly before it got so bad we couldn't do anything (including
> deleting files!).

I haven't seen that problem, but one of the first things I did was to
remove unionFS, switch to ext3 and remove the restore partition.

Plus I have a backup script that uses rsync (and a little bit of
Unison) to copy everything back on to my desktop PC (whenever I
remember to run it) and 90% of everything I do on it is gmail and web
browsing anyway (so little lost if I ever have to restore from
backup).

> As to FF2, yeah, frustrating, but I can't get 3 to work--too many
> dependencies broken, specifically gtk.

Having tried EeeBuntu off a memory stick, I have to say that using FF3
on there is a massive improvement, but I just haven't got so far yet
as to wipe off Xandros and add all my heavy customisations to Eeebuntu
instead.

Davo