[CS-FSLUG] Video ministry

Micah Yoder yoderm at gmail.com
Wed Nov 26 11:52:10 CST 2008

Hi,

For a long time now I've had a strong desire to get Christian young
adults to think about producing creative video and other media to
engage the culture for Christ. I have purchased some decent
hobbyist-level video equipment to work towards that goal.

I have an idea I want to start with, but more importantly I want to
get *their* creativity flowing.

My current plan is a video called "Who Is This God" that fairly
directly presents who the God of the Bible is, and the implications of
these truths for your life. Most people (even Christians)
underestimate God enormously, and this video aims to correct that.
Topics will include what cosmology says about God, the distinctives of
the Christian God from other claimed gods, what His various names tell
us about Him, the nature of Christ, and what happens at salvation
using the picture from Ephesians 2.

I could do this in a "preachy" way, but that would be boring and
probably would not resonate enough with the target audience. I will
need a lot of help from others to think of ways to make it visually
interesting. I even have a domain for it -- http://whoisthisgod.com/
-- but it's currently an Apache/CentOS test page. :)

Only problem -- I have very few Christian connections in my area at
the moment, and I still haven't had an opportunity to share these
thoughts with young adults! I've only been in my area for a year and a
half. We changed churches in May partly because of lack of deep
connections at the one we were attending for most of the first year.
This one is a lot better (it is by far the friendliest church I have
ever been to) but Sunday mornings and occasional other activities
makes it hard to bring up stuff like this. I have mentioned it to some
men on the way to the men's retreat, with some interest, but that's
about it.

Has anyone started anything along these lines? How would you go about
doing it? Maybe I should seek out leaders of the campus ministries in
town and get their thoughts ...

Oh, and I plan to use Linux+Cinelerra for everything, as I'm fairly
sure that will do the job adequately. Unless the participants push for
Mac + Final Cut Express or something, in which case I may consider
obliging.

Thanks,
Micah