[CS-FSLUG] Try Kubuntu 8.10 KDE 4.1.2 Nathan and all others interested

Fred A. Miller fmiller at lightlink.com
Tue Nov 25 19:13:22 CST 2008

Micah Yoder wrote:
> I'm getting ready to upgrade my Kubuntu Hardy to Intrepid, probably
> will do so next weekend. I just have a few concerns, so I'm wondering
> if those of you who use it have run across this stuff.
>
> * Does user switching work? I use this to share my laptop with my
> wife. Works fine Feisty through Hardy in KDE 3.5.x, but when I tried
> to run KDE4 in Hardy it didn't work.

It still doesn't work.

> * Does it automatically put your monitor(s) into powersaving mode
> after inactivity? I use Fedora 9 at work with KDE4 and it currently
> does not work. (It started not working, then worked for a while after
> an update, and was broke again by another update.) This is extremely
> essential because I don't want my laptop screen backlight worn down.
> (I generally leave my laptop on 24x7, because suspend/resume doesn't
> reliably work in Linux.)

On openSUSE it works, it DIDN'T on KUbuntu 8.10.

> * If you have an nVidia card, have you been hit by the "slowness bug"?
> I've heard reports of it but am not sure how widespread it is. I have
> a 7600 and use the binary driver (but don't like it!).

The driver still isn't as good as it should be....fine on some chipsets
and not on others.

> * In Konqueror, if you hold down Ctrl and scroll the mouse wheel to
> increase the font size, does it automatically word wrap correctly?
> Works great in Konq 3.5, but everywhere I've used 4.x it did not re-do
> the word-wrap, causing the page width to far exceed my monitor space,
> requiring me to scroll horizontally each line.

4.0 is still buggy....NOT all features are in it yet that should
be...won't be probably till v4.2.

> If any of the first three fail after the upgrade, I'll probably have
> to use GNOME for this release cycle, until Jaunty fixes KDE. If only
> the last fails, I can get by with only Firefox. (I like Konqeror for
> man page viewing though.)

You might better wait till openSUSE 11.1 comes out mid Dec. It will
release (DVD version) with a KDE 3.5.9.* option, so you don't have to
use 4.0.

Fred

--
"I believe that banking institutions are more dangerous to our liberties
than standing armies. If the American people ever allow private banks to