[CS-FSLUG] 64 bit OS?

Tim Young Tim.Young at LightSys.org
Wed Nov 19 12:00:03 CST 2008

The pros are that some math operators run faster, you can have more
memory in the box, and there are some things (CPU operators) that you
can do which 32-bit processors cannot.  The Cons are that the driver
support is not all there for 64-bit.  (This info pertains to both
Windows and Linux OSes.)

32-bit executables will run in a 64-bit world, so most programs will be
fine.  But the main issue is with drivers (kernel modules).  While Linux
has been compiled for 64-bit architecture, the main test-base has been
in the 32-bit world.  This means that there are not as many debuggers
for 64-bit operations, and therefore, there are more undiscovered bugs
in the 64-bit drivers.  Also, not all the drivers have been ported to
the 64-bit architecture; it may take a lot of work to port a driver over
to a new architecture.  The main area where the drivers have been
hammered out are the ones for large servers, as that is where the main
benefit is for the 64-bit OS.  In short, 64-bit operating-systems are
usually much more iffy for a personal box than if you were installing it
on a server-box.

For a personal box, you usually do not notice much of a difference in
using a 64-bit OS, except for noticing broken things (wireless devices,
USB, TV-Tuner, video, and other "home-use" drivers are the ones heaviest
hit.)

    - Tim Young