[CS-FSLUG] Top 3 Open Source Software

Jon Glass jonglass at usa.net
Thu Nov 13 02:50:23 CST 2008

I think that "best" is too vague. ;-) Think about it. By best, we
could most definitely mean those which are the most influential. At
that point, I think the Linux kernel would need to top the list. Next
would be Firefox, and certainly OpenOffice.org is one of the most
important, but the whole busybox is essential to the Open Source
concept.   And I know there must be others, such as the Apache server.
And then, there would be entire distros. I suspect that Debian would
probably be the most influential there. ;-)

As for usage, then Firefox would seem to top the list. ;-) I'm partial
to the Sword Project myself, with BibleTime topping that. I think that
the GIMP is also an important program--for me, at least. I decided to
forgo GIMPShop, and simply learn GIMP, and with 2.6, I find it a
delight to use--now, if only it could handle 16 bit tiff files! (argh)

In the end, however, I'm almost surprised not to see vi and Emacs
among the list--or are we trying to avoid a holy war on this thread.
;-)

In the end, I couldn't limit my selection to just 3. Sorry. ;-)

--
 -Jon Glass
Krakow, Poland