[CS-FSLUG] Ubuntu on (or not) MacBook

Jason P. Franklin pastor.jason at westwoodbf.com
Wed Nov 5 00:30:33 CST 2008

On Wed, 2008-11-05 at 00:08 -0600, Timothy Butler wrote:

> On Nov 4, 2008, at 11:56 PM, Fred A. Miller wrote:
>
> > Jason P. Franklin wrote:
> >> Having a booger of a time getting Ubuntu on my MacBook.  After
> >> installation (which supposedly works - no error messages), reboot
> >> produces
> >> Apple's missing file icon.  No OS.  I'm thinking something's wonky
> >> with
> >> partitions, but I don't know enough.  Any thoughts (or experiences
> >> installing Linux on an Intel CoreDuo MacBook)?
> >
> > Time can help you...I think. I just dumped KUbuntu 8.10 from this
> > desktop tonight, after 2 days of grief. openSUSE 11.1 beta 4 is better
> > behaved than KB's gold code.
>
> 	Unfortunately, I'm not much help, since I'm still using PPC machines
> and have not yet had an Intel Mac to try installing Linux on. If it
> were mine, I'd probably try to completely redo the partition structure
> using fdisk, though. I'm not sure if Linux's fdisk is compatible with
> EFI and what it expects as far as MBR layout, etc., however.
>
> 	Jason, you might ask over on Mac-Min. Are you on there?
>
> 	-Tim

Got it working.  I wanted to completely dispense with OS X but after
poking around and searching here and there, I put Leaopard back on, then
installed rEFIt, then ran Boot Camp to repartition and then (finally)
installed Ubuntu.  Works great so far.  Even boots directly into
Ubuntu.

Now the big tast of setting up a new OS. :-/

--JPF