[CS-FSLUG] TD: Any Theology recomendations?

Timothy Butler tbutler at ofb.biz
Sun Nov 2 22:35:31 CST 2008

Hi David,

> Can anyone recommend some good theology books? I've been contemplating
> studying theology, because I think it will give me a greater
> understanding of
> my faith.

	Sure. Let me suggest a few things. To get a good taste for "Biblical
Theology," which focuses on seeing the Bible as a whole, let me
recommend the excellent book "Far as the Curse is Found." I reviewed
it a few months ago on OFB and am using it to teach my senior high
students right now. It's aimed at adults, though, like yourself
looking for a good place to start. Dr. Williams, one of my profs. at
Covenant Seminary, is the author.

	http://www.ofb.biz/safari/article/458.html
	http://www.amazon.com/Far-As-Curse-Found-Redemption/dp/0875525105/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1225686031&sr=1-1

	Now there is also systematic theology, which is more of my passion.
That's the sort of theology that tries to group things into topics,
like "What's the proper view of Christian governance." I'd recommend
checking out Karl Barth's "Dogmatics in Outline." It's a fairly short
little book that presents systematic theology in the format it is best
known: the Apostle's Creed.

	http://www.amazon.com/Dogmatics-Outline-Karl-Barth/dp/006130056X

	Karl Barth was the most influential theologian of the 20th century,
and -- in my estimation -- also one of the finest theologians of all
time. Also, for a quick read, check out Barth's "Barmen Declaration,"
which he authored for the Confessing Church as it opposed the rapidly
rising Nazi government in Germany:

	http://www.creeds.net/reformed/barmen.htm

	To really understand systematic theology, a good primer on Philosophy
of Religion can also be helpful. I'd recommend John Hick's delightful
little "Introduction to Philosophy of Religion," 4th Edition:

	http://www.amazon.com/Philosophy-Religion-4th-Foundations/dp/0136626289

	It is another short book, and if you read it slowly enough -- maybe
10 pages at a time -- you'll get a TON out of it. Hick has some major
theological problems, but they really don't show up in this book,
which is an especially fine summary of a difficult field.

> Maybe I'm lost, maybe I'm not. This could even be a cry for help. I
> don't
> know. But one thing I do know is that I need a better understanding
> of where
> I stand with God.

	You stand before God as his child. If you confess Christ as your
savior,

	"But if we walk in the light, as he is in the light, we have
fellowship with one another, and the blood of Jesus his Son cleanses
us from all sin."

	Theology, my friend, is the icing on the cake we already have. But it
is a fun icing, so dive on in!

	Ok, let me take my theological hat off and put on my political hat.
As a cat to catnip, I cannot resist. But let me be clear, I believe
one can differ on what I'm going to say and it has ABSOLUTELY NO
BEARING ON SALVATION. Period. The Gospel does not require you to have
a "correct political viewpoint."

> Am I a Liberal? I sure am. Do I believe in abortion? No, (which is
> my personal
> opinion, that I choose not to force on someone else) but on the
> other hand I
> don't believe in the death penalty either. I just can't come to
> grips with
> anyone killing anyone whether it be an individual or a government
> doing the
> killing.

	Ok, here's a question for you then. If you don't believe in the death
penalty, would you abolish it if you had the power? And if you'd
abolish it, why would you not similarly abolish abortion?

> Another part of me believes in stem cell research, because someday
> it could benefit me and millions of other people, but sometimes I'm
> afraid to
> say so, because a very small part of me thinks it may be wrong;
> Furthermore,
> the ones that are against it make me feel like they are ripping any
> "hope" I
> and so many others have in finding a cure.

	Well, I think the clear point needs to be made that those of us who
oppose embryonic stem cell research do not oppose stem cell research.
Embryonic stem cell research has two major problems: (1) it requires
cloning human beings, a technological feat I think we are far better
off not perfecting and (2) aborting those cloned human beings. I would
respectfully submit it is never appropriate to kill human life to
benefit human life.

	But that said, adult stem cell research has advanced to the point
these last few years since this issue was first raised that embryonic
stem cell research seems to be largely unnecessary.

> I also vote democratic, even though most of them are pro-choice. I
> feel that
> even though they are, the only person I have to answer for is
> myself, God
> will take care of the rest.

	Agreed that you only have to answer to God and yourself.

	Still, how about letting me talk you out of Barack Obama? I would
submit that he is proposing the sort of policies that led us into the
Great Depression. He also is not the sort of guy that will help bi-
partisanship, despite what he says. He's very partisan. Even with
abortion and such aside, he is economically very dangerous.

	Plus, living next to Illinois, I'd warn that these days I'd be very
wary about trusting any major Illinois politician. The Chicago
political machine is simply too dirty, and Obama has pretty
substantial links to it.

	Until he became the Republican presidential nominee, McCain was every
Democrat's favorite Republican, so vote for him and you're hardly
loosing anything. :-)

	-Tim

---
Timothy R. Butler | "Philosophy  always  requires  something  more,
Editor, OfB.biz   | requires the eternal,  the true, in contrast to
tbutler at ofb.biz   | which even the fullest existence as such is but
timothybutler.us  | a happy moment."
                                                -- Søren Kierkegaard