[CS-FSLUG] Mac to Linux: Bible Software

Timothy Butler tbutler at ofb.biz
Sun Nov 2 15:04:17 CST 2008

> He's thinking about boys and girls....he's thinking about it. ;)

	Not likely, brother. But, maybe someday. I've kept my hands in Linux
during my whole time in the Mac world, of course (as this list's
server testifies).

> Some things aren't available for Linux and you have to use other
> sources. I know of others who do just that.

	Do you know what they use?

	Probably one of the best things I have going on the Mac is that I
keep Accordance open when listening to a lecture or writing a paper. I
pop in there, find a Greek word of interest, triple click it and have
immediate access to the two foremost lexicons (BDAG and Louw & Nida).

	This, to me, seems like a major opportunity in Linux. After all,
Linux is perfect for third world laptops, and many of those Christians
in those countries could make use of powerful Bible tools.

	I'd like to see a WINE-like interface for Cocoa and Carbon apps. I'd
suspect translating the much more publicly known APIs to Linux would
be easier (thanks to GNUstep, etc.) would be easier than Win32 was.
And now that most apps are Universal...

	-Tim

---
Timothy R. Butler | "Into this Universe, and why not knowing,
Editor, OFB.biz   | Nor whence, like Water willy-nilly flowing:
tbutler at ofb.biz   | And out of it, as Wind along the Waste,
timothybutler.us  | I know not whither, willy-nilly blowing."
                                            -- Edward FitzGerald