[CS-FSLUG] Network storage

Nathan T. celerate at gmail.com
Fri May 23 23:13:37 CDT 2008

Hi everyone,

Can someone please suggest to me a good NAS device with RAID
capabilities that is compatible with Vista, Leopard, and Linux?

I've had a Nexstar LX from Vantec, and from the get-go the thing has
been cheap. The hardware is essentially that mass produced board and
firmware that you find in all super-cheap NAS devices. I can never get
the thing to keep working with Linux, frankly compatibility with Linux
is so poor it would be better off omitted, and as for Leopard and Vista,
I had to get a leaked pre-release firmware to get that working properly,
and the company suggested a registry tweak to get the thing to work with
Vista (I wasn't impressed since this was their official fix).

I would like to find something better, reliable, and actually maintained
by the manufacturer.

Noise is an issue, I do need something that doesn't sound like a blow
dryer when in use.

Thanks,

Nathan T.