[CS-FSLUG] PHP question

Ed Hurst ehurst at asisaid.com
Wed May 21 07:34:00 CDT 2008

Josiah Ritchie wrote:
> On Wed, May 21, 2008 at 8:09 AM, Ed Hurst <ehurst at asisaid.com> wrote:
>> I spotted a warning on a forum about a virus which directs servers to
>> pull down a PHP file scattered around the Net. Since I'm running FreeBSD
>> and no web services, I decided to see what was in this file. It had one
>> line:
>>
>>   ::H
>>
>> Just how big of threat is this?
>
> I'm no PHP master, but this doesn't look like anything related to
> valid syntax to me.

So I thought, but this whole thing may turn out to be an elaborate hoax.
Maybe I should have given more info upfront. Here's the message I saw:

------------
There is a virus going around that is attacking web servers. It asks
your web server to request a file PT.PHP from some random server.

The file contains garbage and if your server doesn't complete the
request, about a week later it will be barraged with a .dll file that
will attempt to take over your computer.

[snip irrelevance]

I telnetted to my home computer and found the log with the actual request...

   GET http://iluxa1.rifo.net/pt.php HTTP/1.0

Now any request to iluxa1.rifo.net will put your ip on a list to get
barraged with .dll file requests.

--
Ed Hurst