[CS-FSLUG] Backing up in Linux

Jon Glass jonglass at usa.net
Sun May 18 01:14:05 CDT 2008

On Sun, May 18, 2008 at 7:58 AM, Nathan T. <celerate at gmail.com> wrote:
> BTW. Ubuntu 8.04 shows significant improvement over 7.10, I'd recommend
> it to anyone who's not already settled on another distribution or
> operating system. So far Ubuntu 8.04 looks solid, mature, and stable. I
> haven't tested the hardware support with all of my peripherals though
> (and probably won't since I primarily use Windows Vista).

Hardy on my PPC Mac Powerbook G3(G4 brain transplant) is a
hodgepodge--some things are causing me odd problems--like language
support for OO.o, and weird KDE 4 messes. On my PII Dell Latitude,
it's the only distro I've gotten to work with my T-Sunus PCcards, so
I'm using it there, but it's brutally slow (That's Xubuntu, btw that's
slow). Overall, however, I'm quite satisfied with Hardy.

But like you, I would _love_ to have a backup system for it--at least,
now that I've upgraded to Hardy (creating a minor mess) ;-).

I've read about a couple things on Lifehacker.com, so I did a Google
Reader search. Here's what I turned up:
<http://lifehacker.com/336617/set-up-timevault-on-ubuntu-systems>
this first one is probably the most promising.

<http://lifehacker.com/342576/get-time+machine+like-snapshot-backup-with-flyback>
a bit more maybe, complicated?

<http://lifehacker.com/362062/create-your-own-cross+platform-backup-server>
Intriquing, as it's an Xubuntu-based live CD

I just haven't had the time to try any of thse, however. Also, I
believe that all of these pre-date Hardy, so they may not have been
updated to work with it.
--
 -Jon Glass
Krakow, Poland