[CS-FSLUG] Administrative note: A Christian community is shutting down.

Vincent Danen vdanen at linsec.ca
Wed Mar 26 10:48:17 CDT 2008

* [2008-03-26 09:32:33 -0600] Warren Sanders wrote:

>veritosproject at gmail.com wrote:
>> I'm a member of Christdot (christdot.org), a site that is somewhat
>> like a small Christian Slashdot. The admin is shutting the place down,
>> so we're all talking about where we will move. I was thinking of
>> introducing this list to the membership of that site.
>>
>> Their group is quite a bit less "serious" than this list. Not all
>> would be able to join here, as Christdot does not require belief to
>> join (this was intentional, as they wanted to at least _talk_ to
>> non-believers and hear their input (regardless of its truth).
>>
>> Their theological range is quite diverse, ranging from Baptist to
>> Pentecostal Mennonite to Orthodox and Catholic.
>>
>> What are your opinions on whether I should make known the existence of
>> this list to the members of the site?
>>
>And IMHO, I had a sense there were already ppl here of the mentioned
>denominations.  I think we tend to know that, yet I don't recall any
>issue ever being raised over our differences.
>
>The point I'd like to bring to the table is we need to be "inclusive".
>If this virtual group were a physical meeting place, I would hope we
>wouldn't be having this conversation about letting others in the door.
>If there were ppl in this group without faith in God... they too would
>not fit the guidelines and therefore be "excluded".
>
>I have faith in our God who continues to teach me His truths.  I don't
>fear the chance of being swayed by another's' belief/theology/dogma.  I
>put it all to the test God's Word teaches us.
>
>Lets welcome them with open arms!

I have to agree.  I don't like pidgeon-holing people because I don't
like it being done to me.  It also makes me think that too many
christians take an elitist point of view of themselves when we are
called to be humble, not haughty.

For instance, my wife works as the school secretary.  She has a nose
piercing and a lip piercing (well, under the lip i guess... just a small
thing).  Pretty minor and her dress is completely conservative.  Yet one
of the pastors who comes in for tuesday chapel has never said a word to
her since she started in september.  Won't talk to her, won't look at
her.. has nothing to do with her.  Doesn't even make an attempt to be
civil.

This really burns me because my wife is a good God-fearing woman, she
has done nothing but good for that school, and despite theological
differences (we attend a very bible-based charismatic/pentecostal church
but the school (and thus the pastors who come in for chapel) are
lutheran), has a great relationship with the other pastors, staff, the
kids, etc.

But this man who is supposed to be a shepherd won't have anything to do
with her based on her looks and a perception of what she must be like,
due to two small piercings.  Good thing I'm not working there... he'd
probably have serious issues with my (numerous) piercings and tattoos.

My point is, we shouldn't be striving to be like this pastor (elitist as
far as I'm concerned).  Instead, we should remember that Christ dined
frequently with sinners, that He taught turning the other cheek and
"Those who are well have no need of a physician, but those who are
sick."

If we're supposed to be like that with unbelievers, how much more so
should we have stronger relationships with our brothers and sisters,
despite theological differences?  Isn't the bottom line that we all
believe that Jesus is the son of God, that He died and rose again to
give us eternal life?  If so, then everything else is moot.  We're not
here to start a seminary... =)  Those theological differences shouldn't
even matter in the context of this list and it's purpose, right?

My $0.02.  I say the more the merrier.

--
Vincent Danen @ http://linsec.ca/