[CS-FSLUG] Church Management Software

Fred A. Miller fmiller at lightlink.com
Mon Mar 24 20:27:12 CDT 2008

Frank Bax wrote:
> Fred A. Miller wrote:
>> EnzoAeneas wrote:
>>> ChurchInfo seems to lack some extensibility and also requires a web
>>> server which we have, but remotely hosted. We do not currently have
>>> broadband access at the church, and while I could setup a local web
>>> server, all of our machines are not networked (yet).
>>> I also believe that a more desktop oriented solution would assuage many
>>> of the fears and concerns our pastor, secretary, and trustees have about
>>> moving away from their spreadsheets and quicken.
>> Agreed! A local solution that runs on just a local PC is what most need
>> and don't have in a Linux solution.
>

> What's the definition of "desktop oriented solution" or "local solution"?
>
> If someone writes a script to install apache, php, mysql and ChurchInfo
> onto your local Linux PC; would that be called a "local solution"?

Of course.

> The install script for Simply Accounting 2008 (Windows software)
> installs MySQL; the appropriate service is auto-started everytime
> machine boots.  Does that mean it is no longer a "desktop solution"?

You missed the point. MOST of the churches I have contact with are
small....we don't have mega churches around here. In fact, I don't know
of one that has broadband access and some don't even had dial-up. They
also have limited funs for hardware and software. A simple Linux
turn-key solution that runs TOTALLY on their computer is what is needed
by these small churches.

Fred

--
A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.