[CS-FSLUG] External Modem

Ed Hurst ehurst at asisaid.com
Wed Mar 19 13:59:33 CDT 2008

Fred A. Miller wrote:
> Josiah Ritchie wrote:
>> What software are you using to receive the faxes? I'd like to know
>> more about the project as I could perhaps use something similar in my
>> own situation.
>
> As an aside, if you have a broadband service for your PHONE connection
> (service) then don't even try to use a FAX. A FAX works ONLY as analog,
> and all broadband services are digital.......NOT compatible.

Quite correct, Fred. Since I'm using DSL/analog phone, this will work
just fine.

Josiah, Hylafax is the original workhorse of the *nix world for faxing
from computer. While there are plenty of nerdy details possible, most of
the default values are tolerable when the setup scripts are run. The
Hylafax website is woefully incomplete, and I found a couple of HOWTOs
which do a better job of explaining. After reading through some of it
twice, it began to make sense to me.

The feedback from the scripts didn't tell me much, but when I tried to
run wvdialconf to test the modem, that's when I discovered the thing had
died. I saw the modem lights flash from the probing, but the modem
didn't respond apparently, because wvdial wasn't happy, and probed other
ports. When I tried to use YaST for a graphical dialup setup, it also
couldn't find the hardware.

Some swear by efax an independent Open Source tool, which is far
simpler, but I am under the impression it's no longer being developed,
so it's almost obsolete.

--
Ed Hurst