[CS-FSLUG] Adding a partition for Linux

Jim Isbell, W5JAI jim.isbell at gmail.com
Thu Jul 10 18:03:17 CDT 2008

Sounded good and I tried it, but apparently XP has some way of
disabling any boot but itself.  I went into SETUP and directed the
boot to the CD and still it ignored the CD and booted from the HD.  I
then disabled boot from the HD and it then complained that it could
not find an operating system...even though BOTH CD drives had
operating systems in them, ME and Freespire.  I then tried reading the
Linux CD from the console in XP and it could not read it.  I tried
putting an ME setup disk in the CD drive and it would not boot from
that.  The CD can be read however because by going into XP then
accesing the CD and trying to run setup it will give me the message
that ME cannot be set up from within XP...which I knew, but it shows
the drive is reading correctly.  But it ignores either disk when I try
booting from the CD drive and goes to the HD to boot XP and I can see
that it is accessing the CD drives, but ignoring that they can boot.

On Thu, Jul 10, 2008 at 5:14 PM, l4c <l4c at thelinuxlink.net> wrote:
> Jim Isbell, W5JAI wrote:
>> I have a PC running on XP and want to add a partition so I can install
>> Linux.  BUT...the entire drive is occupied with the one partition for
>> XP.  Is it possible to shrink the partition, either within Windows or
>> with an external CD so that I can add Linux without loosing the stuff
>> I have on the Win partition.  The Win partition while using the whole
>> drive is only using 6 gbytes pf the 80 gbytes available!
>>

> Defrag your drive, then boot up an ubuntu live cd and use gparted to resize.
>
> --
> -Linc Fessenden
>
> In the Beginning there was nothing, which exploded - Yeah right...

Jim Isbell
you are just taking up too much space."