[CS-FSLUG] Prayer Request: Follow-up

Ed Hurst ehurst at asisaid.com
Sun Jan 20 09:24:12 CST 2008

On Sunday 20 January 2008 08:27 Jason Franklin wrote:
> I was hoping for a bit more in the way of concrete figures (e.g.
> minimum processor type and speed, minimum ram, minimum hard drive
> space etc.)

This reflects my lack of experience with running a server. I don't know
how much horsepower is required for what I want to do with it. My
inclination is to seek in the ballpark:

500Mhz CPU or better, any type (two or more CPUs is a bonus)
0.5 GB RAM or more
40GB+ drive space (don't care if it's SCSI or EIDE, etc.)
CD-ROM (just has to work)

I would like to see a video card with at least 16MB VRAM, since I plan
to run X, but it won't be much used as a desktop. Two ethernet ports
would make things easier, as it will be our mailserver inside the LAN,
and most likely the firewall facing the Net.

Advice from those who know better is readily accepted.

--
Ed Hurst