[CS-FSLUG] Prayer Request: Follow-up

Ed Hurst ehurst at asisaid.com
Sun Jan 20 07:00:14 CST 2008

On Saturday 19 January 2008 20:40 Jason Franklin wrote:
> Please remind me, brother, what are you looking for in a server box?

Required: reliability, enough horsepower to respond. The usage will be
mostly simple static page serving plus email. I don't plan to run PHP
or other scripting languages pulling from a DB. I may eventually run a
Jabber service.

Over the years I've spent recycling various kinds of hardware, and
running several systems bought new, I find even the low-priced machines
designed as servers are far more reliable than just about any
desktop/workstation box.

I suppose, theoretically, even an ancient Pentium II would do the job,
provided it has enough RAM. I plan to run something like Debian Vanilla
or CentOS. While I don't know an awful lot about server admin, I'll
just have to dig into it.

--
Ed Hurst