[CS-FSLUG] OT: Converting from Incandescent to Flourescent Lights

Yama Ploskonka yama at netoso.com
Tue Jan 22 13:06:40 CST 2008

> On my job, we have implemented sensor-switches in many offices and storage
> rooms.  I plan to implement these for our public bathroom, and possibly my
> daughter's old room.  My how-to will cover this issue briefly as well.

Sensor switches are great.  They probably saved my parent's house in
Bolivia from being burglarized 8 years ago - the door was broken in, but
nothing taken - probably the robber just got so startled to be "caught"
by bright lights in a long corridor.
I encourage missionaries going overseas to set these up - in many places
they are still uncommon enough that an unwelcome visitor/vandal/criminal
might think he has been noticed and go elsewhere if light suddenly turns on.

Anyway, one solved problem that I have had here was on how to set the
sensor for both getting me when I arrive from the car port AND as I
leave the house - from the opposite direction.  I solved this by setting
the circuit with a bell ringer switch inside the house, hacked to be
'on' permanently but going to off when pulsed.  Sensor setups turn on
the lights after power comes back on after going off, even for the
shortest time.  That way, I pulse the switch on my way out, the light
goes on, yet the sensor itself is set pointing completely away from the
door. Otherwise I'd have to walk in the dark and down a couple steps
before the sensor would "see" me.

Yama