[CS-FSLUG] OT: Converting from Incandescent to Flourescent Lights

Don Parris parrisdc at gmail.com
Mon Jan 14 12:54:15 CST 2008

2008/1/14 Stephen J. McCracken <smccracken at hcjb.org.ec>:

> > interest was the fact they contain mercury and you cannot use them in
> lamps
> > with clip on shades.
>
> Actually, there are some now that come with covers that give them the
> same shape as a regular bulb so you can use the clip on shades.
>
> sjm
>
> Stephen is correct.  You can now buy CFLs shaped like incandescents, as
well as those for candelabras and even large and small globes.  I have
replaced all of our most-used lights with CFLs now.  I have one candelabra
chandelier that I cannot change out because of the smaller bulb sizes, but,
with the exception of 3 overhead lights, 2 chandeliers, and the globes in
our main bathroom, we are completely converted.

I have been doing a little more homework, and now have some experience with
the globes.  I find the candelabras in our master bedroom and globes in our
master bath do take a few minutes to reach full brightness.  However, all
the other CFLs seem to reach full brightness immediately.  As for the
globes, there are 4 lined across the top of the mirror.  I don't know if
it's a matter of position, but the one on the left seems to glow a little
whiter than the others - at least initally.  For me, it's not really a
crucial issue.

I can say that we have not changed any of the CFLs we have had since
probably 2003 (I think that's when our first incandescent burnt out
(over-the-stove light).  I can also confirm energy cost savings.  Our power
bill is fairly low, and I anticipate will be lower now that we have finished
changing our most-used lights.

My opinion on the mercury is that we need to follow the prescriptions for
cleaning up broken bulbs.  There are a million ways to get hurt, and I view
the breaking of a CFL as fairly low, compared to the numerous other safety
hazards in an average home.  In our case, though, we don't have any young
children likely to tip over lamps with CFLs.  I would also find a way to
recycle the CFLs where feasible/possible, or at least disposing of them
properly.

The Energy Star website has some interesting info:
http://www.energystar.gov/index.cfm?c=cfls.pr_cfls

with a link near the bottom about disposal (PDF format):
http://www.energystar.gov/ia/partners/promotions/change_light/downloads/Fact_Sheet_Mercury.pdf

I have looked into LED technology, but I don't think it's quite there yet,
as far as replacing normal lights.  However, you can use LEDs in certain
situations - closet lights, under-cabinet lights, nite lights, etc.  I'll
provide more info a little later on.

Can I post attachments on this list?

Blessings,
Don
--
D.C. Parris
Minister, Journalist, Free Software Advocate
sip:dcparris at ekiga.net