[CS-FSLUG] OT: Converting from Incandescent to Flourescent Lights

Don Parris parrisdc at gmail.com
Fri Jan 11 22:16:19 CST 2008

Hi all,

I've been working on a project to convert my home from incandescent to
fluorescent lights.  At work, I am creating a short how-to about this for
the employees, as part of my involvement in the Clean Air Works project.
Here's the fun part.  I used OOo (could have used any old spreadsheet I
suppose) to create a spreadsheet to calculate things like:
<> what percentage of my house is currently converted
<> cost savings (by electrical cost and by bulb purchases)
<> CO2 emissions reduced
<> comparisons between current conversion progress and what I can expect
when I complete my conversion
<> basic light bulb prices (I used my local Wal-Mart, so you should change
the Price sheet for your situation)

I would be happy to share the spreadsheet with others who might be
interested.  You may need to make some changes for your own situation, but
I've done the legwork.  The biggest changes will entail:
<> adding new rooms and/or light bulb types on the Conversion Progress Sheet
<> adding new columns for 100-Watt bulbs and any additional watt-ratings for
CFLs

As an example, I currently expect to save over $730 in electrical costs and
reduce my CO2 emissions by roughly 8700 lbs (over 10,000 hours of light bulb
use), at my current rate.  When I finish, it will be closer to $1600 and
18,000 lbs.  That comes out to saving/reducing $104/1242 lbs per year.

If anyone is interested, just let me know.

Blessings,
Don
--
D.C. Parris
Minister, Journalist, Free Software Advocate
sip:dcparris at ekiga.net