[CS-FSLUG] Dead Fan on ATI Card

Timothy Butler tbutler at ofb.biz
Sun Feb 24 19:53:10 CST 2008

Hi everyone,
	I heard this really horrible sound out of my trusty old Dell, and
realized relatively quickly one of its fans must be going out. I
opened it up and isolated it down to the GPU's fan. The card is a
Radeon 9700 Pro with 128 megs of ram -- it's five years old, but
still a decent card. Question, does anyone know a way to buy a new
fan for that card? The part number for the fan is:

	PN7120004100

	Alternately, if it really is completely dead, y'all have a
suggestion for a card that is at least as good that doesn't cost too
terribly much? If I go that route, I'd probably want to find a
DirectX 10 compatible card -- this computer is my "lab" machine on
which I usually try to keep a copy of Windows so that I can come up
to solutions to problems for my clients. I was planning to put a copy
of Vista Ultimate on it (gasp), in fact, as a dual boot with XP. As
long as it runs Vista, I'd like it to run Aero.

	ATI/AMD has the helpful advice that goes like this:

	"Noisy Fan or Fan Failure
The fans on ATI graphics cards are not user replaceable parts. To
avoid any complications due to any possible damage that may have been
caused by the fan's failure or degraded functionality, the entire
card should be replaced. If the card is currently under warranty and
built by ATI, you can fill out and submit the online warranty request
form at http://www.ati.amd.com/rma."

	So much for buying a new fan from them!

	Thanks,
		Tim

---
Timothy R. Butler | "The yellow fog that rubs its back upon the
window-panes,
Editor, OfB.biz   | The yellow smoke that rubs its muzzle on the
window-panes
tbutler at ofb.biz   | Licked  its  tongue  into the  corners  of  the
evening,
timothybutler.us  | Lingered upon the pools that stand in drains."
                                                                 --
T.S. Eliot