[CS-FSLUG] Theory Exercise: Stable Desktop

Ed Hurst ehurst at soulkiln.org
Wed Dec 31 11:41:56 CST 2008

Humor me for a moment. I write from acknowledged ignorance of the finer
details.

Assume for the moment I am part of the leadership for a new distro
project. We are going to have one, and only one, desktop. Among other
things, we want to choose, adapt, or if necessary develop our own
desktop environment. A major requirement is stable experience for the
user over a period of years. Underlying changes are fine, but it must
remain just as quick on that same hardware four or five years later as
it was at first. This is non-negotiable. Innovation must take a back
seat to stability.

We have developers willing to work under this restriction. With what you
know about various window managers and desktop environments, what would
you recommend our team of developers work on? Among the options would be
forking a current project at some "really good" release point and
keeping it there (say, KDE 3.1.5), resurrecting some long forgotten
favorite (CDE?), or adapting some ideas and building a whole new project
(a la Xfce).

--
Ed Hurst