[CS-FSLUG] Why You Might Be Using Linux in 2009

Marco Tedaldi marco.tedaldi at gmx.ch
Mon Dec 29 13:03:22 CST 2008

Jon Glass schrieb:
> On Mon, Dec 29, 2008 at 2:14 PM, Jonathan E. Brickman
> <jeb at joshuacorps.org> wrote:
>> Exactly.  Just for one demographic:  Am I going to encourage any pastor of
>> any church to think that I need to do major rebuilds of his PC every 2-3
>> years?  No.  Same for any executive.  Or any secretary.  Or anyone who does
>> much work with their desktop which has been customized by them extensively
>> over time.
>>
> And how does Windows help such a person? I don't know any Windows user
> who has lasted more than a year without having to rebuild their
> system--typically a re-format and reinstall from the factory disks.
[snipped]

I can only agree on this. But it is the way it is. In earlier days there
was a saying that no manager has ever been fired for buying IBM. And
todays mantra is that you can't go wrng by installing Windows.

If I install windows on a computer of a person and it fails him...
that's the way it is, no problem.
But if I install linux for this person and it fails, I'm the big idiot
and installed bullshit... i think you understand what I mean.

> Taking your arguments together, I fail to see why these people are
> using any computer but Macintoshes.... Great advertisements. ;-)

Windows is the standard, that's what people are telling me. Windows is
compatible (I fail to understand to what it is compatible), that's what
people say.
That newer Versions of MS-Office fail to handle documents written in
older versions is just accepted. That OO.org does better in many cases,
is a fact but still people consider it as incompatible and a hassle...

The only thing, people are accepting is, when I tell them that linux is
"incompatible" with malware and viruses :-)

People cry about regular updates in linux distros... if Ubuntu would
call the new versions just "service pack" poeple would accept it... It's
just the marketing! But even the people here seem to believe, what
microsoft is telling them about updates, versions and compatibility.

Shalom

Marco