[CS-FSLUG] Why You Might Be Using Linux in 2009

Jon Glass jonglass at usa.net
Mon Dec 29 07:35:20 CST 2008

On Mon, Dec 29, 2008 at 2:14 PM, Jonathan E. Brickman
<jeb at joshuacorps.org> wrote:
> Exactly.  Just for one demographic:  Am I going to encourage any pastor of
> any church to think that I need to do major rebuilds of his PC every 2-3
> years?  No.  Same for any executive.  Or any secretary.  Or anyone who does
> much work with their desktop which has been customized by them extensively
> over time.

And how does Windows help such a person? I don't know any Windows user
who has lasted more than a year without having to rebuild their
system--typically a re-format and reinstall from the factory disks.
This is better? How? And dealing with malware on Windows is better
than Linux? It seems to me that for "regular" users you guys are
describing (which in _no_ way can be implied to be "average" users.
Such "regular" users are sub-average computer users, IMO, and based on
my experience). I can't remember one single Windows user I have known
who has not had to have his system re-installed from scratch several
times. Granted, some of them have had friends or relatives do this, or
worst-case, paid somebody to do it for them, but this has been the
norm for All Windows-users I have known. At that point, _any_ Linux
distro must be better. Sure, if you want to single-purpose your
Windows computer for just server use, but as soon as you start adding
software, using software, and worst, cruising the web, and looking at
things, including Flash, you open a Pandora's box of ills. It would
seem to me that, for such people, a Mac would be much better suited.
Maybe my experience is limited, but my parents have owned two Macs in
the past 10+ years. Their first was an LC II that lasted them until
2003 or thereabouts. Since then, they are running an eMac, running
10.2 (in my opinion, they would be better off upgrading, but I'm not
there to do it for them), and it has run since then with only the most
minimal intervention from me (ok, I added tons of software they
weren't ever going to use, but then again, I removed it when we came
back here), and most of that has been over the phone, and almost all
of it has had to do with their email or web browser, and my mom's
inability to remember how to get pictures out of her Mail.app to
iPhoto. ;-)

Taking your arguments together, I fail to see why these people are
using any computer but Macintoshes.... Great advertisements. ;-)

--
 -Jon Glass
Krakow, Poland