[CS-FSLUG] PD: Rick Warren: Opposed to gay marriage, not gay partnerships

Jon Glass jonglass at usa.net
Mon Dec 29 03:52:19 CST 2008

On Mon, Dec 29, 2008 at 4:18 AM, Warren Sanders
<warren at sandersonline.org> wrote:
>  I will also like to bring to attention in hopes that we all look at divorce
> and re-marriage in the same light.  IMO this sin is a bigger atrocity than
> we give credit to in comparison to homosexual sin.

And is, IMO, in large part responsible for the symptom that we call
homosexuality. Homosexual sin, or any sin, for that matter, does not
occur in a vacuum. Sin has a cumulative effect. For instance, a child
who grows up with an abusive father, or a broken home, does not come
out unscathed or unscarred. This does not mean that he or she will
also be abusive, or whatnot, but that his or her behavior will be
shaped, for good or worse, by this childhood environment. My wife's
childhood is an example, and I know there are others on this list who
have had to live through this.

I think the problem we face in the Christian community, is that we
tend to want to blame exclusively the sinner for his sin, so we tend
to ignore and downplay the macrocosmic factors. The danger of this is
that we remove culpability from others who are culpable. The drunk who
drives and kills is guilty, yet others suffer. The father who abuses
his child is guilty, yet the damage is to the child. The child's sin,
while his own, for which he is culpable, is also his father's guilt. I
believe this is what Romans 1 is showing us. We see sin at the
macrocosmic scope, but also at the microcosmic level. Sin is
cumulative in nature. That's the sad fact. But one aspect is that, as
I said, sin doesn't occur in a vacuum. The result is that sin
accumulates, both at a personal (microcosmic) level and at a societal
(macrocosmic) level. I believe that homosexual sin multiplying is a
symptom of other sins. The failure of the family is the greatest sin,
IMO, and is the primary sin responsible for homosexual sin in society.
There will always be homosexuals, but when this sun runs rampant and
open, _this_ is the result of the failure of the family at the macro
level. As such, I totally agree with Warren, as well as at the basic
level of adultery and divorce, in and of themselves. So long as
Christians wink at these sins (and sins of dishonesty and
theft--taking place in churches daily), as well as the sins of pride
and arrogance, we are undercutting our moral authority.

--
 -Jon Glass
Krakow, Poland