[CS-FSLUG] fyi, migration the other way, linux=>windows

Jon Glass jonglass at usa.net
Mon Dec 15 01:20:04 CST 2008

On Mon, Dec 15, 2008 at 2:39 AM, Stephen J. McCracken
<smccracken at hcjb.org.ec> wrote:
> I think Jon is in Poland.  You need to realize that *many* copies of
> Windows outside of the USA are not necessarily legal copies and;
> therefore, not all have access to all the patches.

That may be true of the people I see in the mall, but not true of the
missionaries I know--missionaries who who drag their laptops from
church to church, showing presentations from them usually. They just
don't bother with suspend or hibernation. They want reliable.

Oh, one other point I have heard regarding suspend (to RAM), is that
it uses up batteries. Is that a factor dependent upon quantity of RAM?
My Pismo (Powerbook with a PowerPC G4 brain transplant) can sleep for
days and days on a nearly dead battery, while my friends tell me that
suspend will go through a full battery in a day or so. Is this true?
Does anyone here know if new Intel Macs also go through batteries when
sleeping and not hibernating?

And I'll reiterate that perception and trust are what are at stake
here. If people don't trust hibernate or suspend, they will not use
them. I don't personally know anybody who trusts them.

--
 -Jon Glass
Krakow, Poland