[CS-FSLUG] fyi, migration the other way, linux=>windows

Jon Glass jonglass at usa.net
Sun Dec 14 13:32:38 CST 2008

On Sun, Dec 14, 2008 at 6:03 PM, Nathan Thompson <celerate at gmail.com> wrote:
> What vintage were those laptops? I've not seen this kind of problem since
> the days of Windows 98. Working in a computer store up here in northern
> Canada I see computers come in either sleeping or hibernating frequently
> enough. Usually the people up here who don't use the sleep or hibernate
> features on their laptops aren't savvi enough to know about them, or decided
> to replace the OEM installation of Windows with their own and didn't
> reinstall the proper drivers from the manufacturer

Well, this has been from 2005 and onward, and all were with XP to the
best of my knowledge. The ones I know the best are quite savvy, and
one of them _did_ change his OS but also did install the drivers from
the manufacturer. But here's _my_ point. None of these men _trust_
Windows to work the way it should. They've all be burnt enough to not
trust this simple feature. As a Mac user, I never gave it a thought,
because isn't it all just supposed to work? I brought this same
attitude to Linux, and so far, I haven't been disappointed. At one
point on my Wind, I tried to "fix" a supposed problem, but it didn't
work, and when I went back to the default, it did work. :-) That's
what I get for meddling.

But at the end, I'll underscore what stands out to me. People using
Windows don't _trust_ their system to work in the same way I've always
just trusted my systems. Does this mean I don't have problems? No, but
when I do, I know something is wrong, and fixing is typically
straightforward (unless it's hardware). That's been my experience.

--
 -Jon Glass
Krakow, Poland