[CS-FSLUG] fyi, migration the other way, linux=>windows

Jon Glass jonglass at usa.net
Sun Dec 14 07:48:31 CST 2008

On Sun, Dec 14, 2008 at 2:33 PM, David McGlone <d.mcglone at att.net> wrote:
> Jon, I'm curious, is this of personal preference or is it bad in some way for
> the computer? The only computer I shutdown around here is my laptop, because
> it's not used very often, and I hate paying an electric bill. LOL

Waste of time. I am driving to church, or somewhere. Why shut down my
laptop? I just close the lid, and it goes to sleep. When I get there,
I open it, and in a few seconds, I'm working again. No need to shut
down. I'm not talking about desktops, but laptops. So, imagine, you
are traveling from church to church, using your laptop to present your
ministry. Imagine having to boot your computer all the time from
scratch. Total waste of time, IMO. That's what I'm talking about. Now,
I never shut down, but all my friends using Windows do. They never put
their laptops to sleep to travel with them. Oh, and I forgot. In our
local mall, here in Krakow, there is free wifi in the food court. I've
noticed on the few occasions I've been there, that the Windows users
tend to open their Windows laptops, and boot them. The few Macs I've
seen, when opened, simply woke from sleep. It's frequent enough for me
to notice it. ;-)

The only conclusion I can draw is that Windows laptops are not
reliable with sleep or hibernation. And surely, Linux can't be worse!

--
 -Jon Glass
Krakow, Poland