[CS-FSLUG] fyi, migration the other way, linux=>windows

Jon Glass jonglass at usa.net
Sun Dec 14 02:12:18 CST 2008

On Sun, Dec 14, 2008 at 2:36 AM, Eduardo Sánchez <lists at sombragris.org> wrote:
>> One of the major needs for a modern desktop, that is hibernation, is
>> not of major interest for the Linux kernel developers, no matter
>> Windows had this for a very long time.

> Verdict: He truly has a point here.

In my not-so-honest opinion, but judging from all my Windows-using
friends with laptops, not a single one of them sleeps (Mac term) or
hibernates their laptop. They _always_ shut them down. When I ask why,
their answer is that it is unstable, and not trustworthy. Now, as a
missionary, this means just about everybody I know uses a Windows
laptop. I can't think of one of the bunch that I know that suspends or
hibernates. Not a one. So, while this may be an issue with Linux, it
most certainly is also true for Windows. As a long-time Mac user, I
never realized this could be a problem until I started paying
attention to all my friends shutting down their laptops. ;-) BTW, I
have a Pismo (Apple PowerBook G3) that runs Ubuntu, a Dell on Puppy,
and this Wind also on Ubuntu, and they all sleep just fine, and I've
taken to hibernating my Wind, because I can also boot into OSX while
it's in hibernation mode. I don't like shutting down computers, so I
won't ever use Windows.

--
 -Jon Glass
Krakow, Poland