[CS-FSLUG] Macs will eventually have malware

Timothy Butler tbutler at ofb.biz
Sat Dec 6 11:35:29 CST 2008

On Dec 4, 2008, at 6:44 PM, Ed Hurst wrote:

> Timothy Butler wrote:
>
>> Well, both Linux and Mac have had malware in the past, it just hasn't
>> gotten very far... I'm dubious. It seems the Apple knowledge base
>> article didn't offer some secret insight either: as someone else
>> noted, it was merely an updated version of an older KB article that
>> talked about obsolete versions of AV software...
>
> Looks like they quietly removed the article, saying it was out of
> date.
>
> http://blog.wired.com/gadgets/2008/12/mac-os-x-isnt-v.html

	Yes. I suspect since people were reading it as an admission of some
new problem that Apple decided whatever benefit the KB article
provided wasn't worth it. At the present time, Mac AV software doesn't
really do much anyway -- it just focuses on scanning for Windows
viruses so they don't tag along on documents going from PC-to-Mac-to-
PC again.

	Of course, Apple use to bundle McAfee with every .Mac subscription
(a.k.a. MobileMe). They dropped that practice, as I recall, in 2005).

	-Tim

---
Timothy R. Butler | "Not  every end  is the  goal.  The end  of a
Editor, OfB.biz   | melody is not its goal,  and yet if  a melody
tbutler at ofb.biz   | has not  reached its end , it has not reached
timothybutler.us  | its goal."
                                            -- Friedrich Nietzsche