[CS-FSLUG] UNIVERSITY NOW TEACHING LINUX ON IBM MAINFRAME

David Aikema david at aikema.net
Wed Aug 27 18:56:26 CDT 2008

2008/8/27 Don Parris <parrisdc at gmail.com>:
> CPCC's program will introduce students to various OSes early on, and allow
> students to choose between a GNU/Linux track or a Windows track once they
> start moving beyond basic networking.  However, CPCC's program will actively
> encourage students toward GNU/Linux, due to demand in our local region.
> Since this is the #2 community collegee in the nation, I think it's
> significant that they are taking such a step.
>
> The difference is, they are not simply exposing students to a little
> GNU/Linux, as if it were a side-show.  While they still maintain Windows
> programs, they are developing a GNU/Linux track to meet the demand of the
> business community.  The business community is asking CPCC for help finding
> GNU/Linux folks.

With community college programs I guess that it makes sense to have a
separate track.

 With the 4-year computer science programs the emphasis is more on the
theory.  You may use Linux/Windows/*BSD/etc. as tools, but at the same
point in time they're intended to be there to illustrate the point
(i.e. linux, windows, *bsd should be only the sideshow).  The idea is
to teach the theory underlying the practice so that you can pick up
new sets of tools relatively quickly.  The two year community college
computer info tech programs on the other hand tend to target the
teaching of how to use specific environments.  There a Linux track
makes sense, and sounds like a positive sign.

Dave