[CS-FSLUG] TruTone vs. Leather

Timothy Butler tbutler at ofb.biz
Wed Aug 13 15:07:39 CDT 2008

Hi Jon and Fred,
	I'm sorry I am so tardy in my reply. Thank you both for your replies.

	Per Jon's recommendation, I went with the TruTone. We'll see how I
like it in October -- it was a pre-order for the new ESV Study Bible.
Several of my seminary profs contributed to it, so I wanted to make
sure to get a copy and B&N is offering a pre-order discount (plus I
had a coupon), so I only paid $43 for it.

	I went with the classic aged leather-look. We'll see...

	Thanks again!

	-Tim

On Aug 2, 2008, at 1:24 AM, Jon Glass wrote:

> On Sat, Aug 2, 2008 at 3:11 AM, Timothy Butler <tbutler at ofb.biz>
> wrote:
>>       I was going to do the genuine leather for $3 more, but the
>> TruTone in
>> the pictures has nice stitching and actually looks a bit prettier, I
>> think. Very superficial I know. I do like the way leather Bibles wear
>> and work as far as being held for preaching/teaching, though. They
>> fit
>> more organically than a hardcover and wear better than either hard
>> covers or paperbacks.
>
> If the "genuine" leather Bible is bonded leather, get the TrueTone.
> Bonded leather is made of leather, but is all these little bits and
> pieces (pulp, really) ground up and glued together. TrueTone will be
> much more durable. I have a little TrueTone Bible that my children
> adore, and would all want to use, were it not that they prefer the KJV
> and it's ESV. :-)
>
> TrueTone is kind of like bonded leather, but it's some form of rubber
> or plastic that's ground up, and then fused. It is very grippable in
> the hand (feels very nice), and quite durable--used in childrens
> Bibles a lot, I believe. Plus, because it's synthetic, it can come in
> multiple colors and multi-tones. It can also be made to have a rather
> aged, classic look (My ESV is one of those).
>
> IMO, if you are looking at bonded leather, or TrueTone, I would
> consider the TrueTone unless you really prefer the look of the bonded
> leather.
>

> --
> -Jon Glass
> Krakow, Poland
> <jonglass at usa.net>
>
> "I don't believe in philosophies. I believe in fundamentals." --Jack
> Nicklaus

---
Timothy R. Butler | "The yellow fog that rubs its back upon the window-
panes,
Editor, OfB.biz   | The yellow smoke that rubs its muzzle on the
window-panes
tbutler at ofb.biz   | Licked  its  tongue  into the  corners  of  the
evening,
timothybutler.us  | Lingered upon the pools that stand in drains."
                                                                 --
T.S. Eliot