[CS-FSLUG] Merging two networks while keeping the modems separate

Marco Tedaldi marco.tedaldi at gmx.ch
Sun Aug 3 15:26:59 CDT 2008

Hello Nathan

Nathan T. wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> This should prove interesting for many of you in the list who are
> networking gurus.

I'm not a guru, but I take up the thread anyway...

> I have two networks at home, and so far it's worked ok. Now we are
> looking at sharing a network printer to all the computers, and I
> wouldn't mind being able to access my NAS from the computers on the
> family network for when I am doing maintenance on them. At some point we
> may even be looking at a shared network storage for everyone in the
> household.
>
> Anyway, I would like to merge the networks while still keeping the
> modems separate, using different subnets seems to isolate the networks
> again from my experimentation, and using static IP addresses and
> filtering at the router would require manual configuration every time a
> change is made to the network. Does anyone here have any ideas?

Ok, I assume by "Modem" you mean some kind ob Cable/DSL-router which is
connected to the network. And you want to make sure, that different sets
of computers use another line to the internet.

The way a computer decides where it has to send data to the internet is
the so called "default route" (in almost any case). So you have to set
the default route of the computers to the right modem. If the Modems are
Routers which are connected to the network as well and have an own ip
it's relativerly easy (especially since you are using static ip adresses).

You just put the address of the router you want to be used in the field
"Default Route" in the Configuration of the Computer.

But before connecting the two networks together make sure that they are
using the same subnet and that not two devices are using the same
address. Routers in the default configuration tend to use the x.y.z.1.
so it might be, that they try to use the same address what will lead to
problems.

I hoe I could help a bit. If some of my assumptions where wrong, please
correct me and I'll try to help to find a solution.

Shalom

Marco