[CS-FSLUG] Hard Disk Deals?

Fred A. Miller fmiller at lightlink.com
Tue Apr 15 02:41:33 CDT 2008

Timothy Butler wrote:
> Hi everyone,
> 	I've been putting off buying backup storage and have outgrown my
> current drive in the mean time. I've decided I need to start
> seriously looking for more storage to hold photos, video and other
> large things. I'm inclined to say I think I should go with 750GB to
> 1TB SATA hard disks, to avoid outgrowing them too fast, although
> 500GB might work. I'm going to be doing some photography that must be
> shot in Raw, so I expect that my space consumption is going to
> rapidly increase in the coming weeks.
>
> 	I'm leaning towards buying internal and sticking the drive(s) into
> my existing external box, but if there is an especially good deal on
> an external drive, especially if it is Firewire-based (USB or eSATA,
> may work), that might work too.
>
> 	If you happen to see a two-pack bundle deal, that would be even better.
>
> 	Has anyone seen a good deal on any of those sizes (especially from
> Seagate, unless you have a reason you really prefer another brand)?

Well, being a Pro. photog maybe I can help. I shoot ALL of my work in
Canon's RAW format....the ONLY proper way to go. I have a 250GB HD in
this box.....more than enough to get a job done...even a large one where
I take the images and produce tif images. The long of the short of it,
when I'm done, I store them on either CD or DVD....depending on the
total size of the collective images.

Now, if I had to buy new hard drives right now, I'd probably buy 2
internal Seagate, and ONLY Seagate, 500GB drives as they are most
everywhere the best buy in the large drives. T-byte drives are still too
expensive. Check prices from TigerDirect.....normally good. You might
also want to, and I know this sounds strange, call Dell. Sometimes their
prices are quite good. Also, BestBuy had a sale recently on HD's.......I
didn't know it till it was too late. :(

Fred

--
Linux is an old Latin word meaning, "I don't have
to support your Windows anymore."