[CS-FSLUG] That Console Feeling

Ed Hurst ehurst at asisaid.com
Sat Apr 12 08:12:14 CDT 2008

Jon Glass wrote:

> I didn't know it used Knoppix. They like to say it's not based on any
> other distro... Sorry.

Well, that's just a matter of how they get it up and running. That is
one pretty good boot sequence, but it's not 100% compatible. Nothing is.
Besides, this old laptop is pretty balky.

> As to booting, I have problems on my Dells, unless, I type "ide=nodma"
> on the Puppy boot screen. If I do that, it doesn't hang on hardware
> detect. I don't know if this is something that would help--or maybe
> some other options.

Yeah. I went through all the likely suggestions, having read the various
cheatcode lists for each distro.

> But again, who am I to offer suggestions. I truly am a bottom-runger
> on these things. :-D

You know what you know. You can't know what I know. It would be
unreasonable for me to expect you to be aware of my experiences, and
even more unreasonable to take offense. Frankly, I'm hardly an
encyclopedia, since my knowledge is quite spotty. Some of the most
elementary things remain a mystery in my world.

--
Ed Hurst