[CS-FSLUG] Open Office on Mac OS X 10.5.2

Frank Bax fbax at sympatico.ca
Fri Apr 11 16:12:11 CDT 2008

Jason Franklin wrote:
> Can't get OpenOffice to work.  I have X11 on my machine.  Looked at
> OpenOffice documentation.  Can't see anything I may have missed.
> Anyone out there use OpenOffice on Mac?  How'd you get it to work?

You did not mention which versions of OOo and OS X you are using.
	Tiger (10.4.x) - XFree86 not installed by default
	Leopard (10.5.x) - Xorg 7.2 installed by default

My brother-in-law (who has a Mac) dig some digging into this recently.
He found a site that said OOo231 came out while Leopard was still in
beta; so it is seriously flawed and does not work with final release of
Leopard; but we can't find that site now.

OpenOffice uses X11 windowing system; so it's not native for Mac.  Check
the docs you were reading to see which X11 they were written for.

OpenOffice 2.3 does not recognize JRE (Java) under Leopard so some
things are broken (Wizards, Base module).

My brother-in-law switched to NeoOffice - a fork/port of OpenOffice for
Mac that does not use X11; but is always a version or so behind.

I manage many systems (about 70-80) that run OOo on various platforms
(Win98, WinXP, SuSE93) without any major issues; but no Mac's yet.

OOo 2.4 was recently released; perhaps it fixes some things.