[CS-FSLUG] Church Management Software

EnzoAeneas enzoaeneas at gmail.com
Tue Apr 8 19:33:34 CDT 2008

organization and faster access. Information in text files much be read
in order, so searching is terribly slow and inefficient; storage of
large quantities of data in this manner quickly becomes unweildly.
Databases are not only able to deal with larger quantities of data,
searching and find what is needed is far easier and faster (though not
as simple). Some databases even allow storing of their records in text
files, but that is a limited solution and the text files may not be
very usable by a normal person.

Storage to files in plain text can be implemented as backup or export
quite easily when databases are used, so if text files are useful in
some other way to the user, they can be provided. The creation of
reports and summaries would be necessary anyway, so readable text
files would be generated by the applications.

As for cost, many popular databases are not only free to use, but open
source and licensed to be free forever. Postgresql is one them.
The plan was to use all free and open source software for this, so
that corporate interests and greed could not interfere with the
project and GOD's work through it.

That was a good question. Any other concerns?

Kevin