[CS-FSLUG] Ubuntu Black and White Kaffeine

Jon Glass jonglass at usa.net
Tue Apr 8 16:15:04 CDT 2008

On Mon, Apr 7, 2008 at 6:04 AM, Fred A. Miller <fmiller at lightlink.com> wrote:
>  You have a minimal system to start with and *buntu ISN'T a minimalist
>  OS, IMHO. Download PCLinuxOS 2007 and burn the CD. I think you'll have a
>  good install and a lot less problems.

Actually, it is possible to make Ubuntu a bit more minimal. I have had
the following link on the Ubuntu side of my Mac for days now, but only
today launched it to dig it out. :-)

<http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/minimal#barebones>

One caveat--I think that the kernel for the server version of Ubuntu
is different than that used on the desktop, so you might need to do
some hacking to get laptop hardware support (swapping kernels allowed?
I've never done it).

That said, I just installed Xubuntu onto a Pentium PII at 366mhz a
couple weeks ago. It wasn't a speed demon (nowhere near like Puppy),
but it had Polish support. :-) It's running fine, and I have, I think,
all the laptop support working on it.

--
 -Jon Glass
Krakow, Poland