[CS-FSLUG] KDE 4 and SuSE

Fred A. Miller fmiller at lightlink.com
Sat Apr 5 22:05:59 CDT 2008

David McGlone wrote:
> On Friday 04 April 2008 5:37:33 am Fred A. Miller wrote:
>> Timothy Butler wrote:
>>> 	Select "gnome." That will let you skip over KDE 4 to KDE 5! ;-)
>> Funny...........not! ;) You'll see KDE4, "gold" release," for openSUSE
>> 10.3 before all that long....after that, maybe 10.2. In fact, I can't
>> say for sure that you will see it any time soon......don't know. I'd
>> upgrade to 10.3 if I were you David.
>
> I made a mistake, I am running 10.3. My brain is going and going these
> days. ;-)

'DO know the feeling!

> Kubuntu is my main enviroment, and I love it. I'm just checking out SuSE on an
> extra partition to see if it would be any better than kubuntu as far as ease
> of use.

Well, I dare say there might be someone here with as many boxen "out
there" as I do, but doubt it. I stay with openSUSE.

> So far getting my wireless on my laptop working with SuSE wasn't too hard, but
> kubuntu is 1 click. With SuSE all the how-to's I read everyone is still
> suggesting using ndiswrapper which involves cleaning up all the bcmxx stuff
> first then hunting down the drivers to use with ndiswrapper, installing
> ndiswrapper and finally configuring ndiswrapper, but with kubuntu it just
> downloads the firmware automatically and wireless works.

That is the ONLY thing it does right and better than openSUSE, IMHO.

> I experimented with this, I found out where Kubuntu is getting that firmware
> and downloaded it and extracted it in /lib/firmware on SuSE and the wireless
> card instantly worked. Maybe SuSE should look into something like that. So
> far the way I see other suse users getting their bcmxx wireless working on
> SuSE makes me feel sorry for them. If only they knew that all they had to do
> was download 1 file and stick it in their firmware folder they would be set
> and ready to go. I wish I could tell *EVERY* bcmxx suse user about this.

Oh......I will. ;)

> Another thing is apt. Oh boy do I miss apt when working in SuSE. I know
> there's probably an equivilent for SuSE, like YUM or such, but I don't know
> how to use it as good as I do apt.

Apt is good.....no doubt about it.

> Anyway I'm rambling on and on. Back to my original question, the reason I
> asked about installing KDE 4 on SuSE was to again see how easy it was to
> upgrade KDE on SuSE. So far the instructions on SuSE's website was only
> adding the repository. So I did that, no problem. The problem is that as far
> as I can tell, using the software installer, I still have to hunt down the
> KDE core packages just to get a working KDE desktop and on top of that, most
> people, including me have no idea which package(s) is the core package(s). I
> chose a few packages in yast that I thought were the core packages to get a
> minimal kde 4 desktop, but I don't know if they were the correct packages
> because I logged out and there was no entry for KDE 4, so I suspect 1 of 2
> things,
>
> 1. I either didn't install the correct packages or
> 2. I installed the correct packages, but SuSE does not automatically put an
> entry in the menu on the login screen.

'Not sure. 4.0 ISN'T ready for prime time yet on any distro!!! So, I
haven't installed it....don't have a box just to play with right now.

Fred

--
"Security" in Windows comes from patching a sieve.