[CS-FSLUG] KDE 4 and SuSE

Nathan T. celerate at gmail.com
Fri Apr 4 01:21:17 CDT 2008

Timothy Butler wrote:

> On Apr 3, 2008, at 3:44 PM, David McGlone wrote:
>
>> Does anyone here know what package I need to install to get KDE 4
>> on SuSE
>> 10.2?
>>

> 	Select "gnome." That will let you skip over KDE 4 to KDE 5! ;-)
>

> 	-Tim

[snip]

Of course you know I just can't let that slip by. KDE has it's merits
over Gnome, and I personally think that it's more consistent (for
example with the size & resizing of desktop icons). The biggest problem
I've had with KDE, and the reason I'm using Ubuntu now, is that the
extensions and smaller applications would be lacking features, and often
would outright just crash and make the whole desktop experience seem
unprofessional. Having a lot of the applications I got hooked on in
Windows only be available in Linux as GTK applications with that
backward button ordering didn't help me stay with KDE either.

Gnome finally made me feel comfortable enough with the version that came
with Ubuntu 7.10 to get me to switch away from KDE. The biggest appeal
to Gnome is that the programs and features I want are there without the
distributor bundling five different programs that are supposed to do the
same thing but each lack a specific feature.

I have expressed some frustration over the level of simplification that
Gnome has undergone before; frankly hiding usefull features for the sake
of making it safe for Joe Can't-find-the-any-key was outright stupid. On
the other hand, over-complication isn't the answer, and until KDE gets
some much-needed designs changes, I'll be sticking to Gnome.

A lot of the efforts I've seen to improve on KDE have come from the
distributors, and the changes have only been a half-hearted attempts at
re-structuring the control panel and dropping in GTK applications to
replace KDE applications that lacked some kind of file format support or
feature.